It’s hard to talk to an enterprise customer these days without getting into a discussion about Mobile Computing. Every day more and more mobile devices are being shipped to enterprise workers, who are increasingly using these devices (instead of laptops and desktops) in order to perform their daily business activities.
Mobile is a key part of the new computing platform going forward. IT leaders need to be out in front of this disruptive shift and understand how it impacts the way work is done at their company. Some key mobile technology sub-trends to watch in 2013 include Voice Search, Voice Assistants, Location Based Services, Gaming, Event-Based Marketing, and Augmented Reality. And within the next few years we will see innovations in Mobile Video and 3D Mobile Internet. For a view into potential applications five years for now, see the recently announced IBM 5 in 5 predictions.
All this has implications for IT skills and business processes throughout the organization. CIOs and IT leaders will want to understand how mobile fits into their organization’s unified communications strategy as well as the enterprise-wide collaboration and social business strategy. The increasing use of Smartphones and tablet computers as personal and business tools has brought organizations and their employees new levels of productivity, flexibility and mobility. However, their use is a double-edged sword, bringing with it new levels of complexity to IT management and security.
To help you learn more about the enterprise mobile computing trend, the following is a list of IBM websites related to Mobile computing trend. Included are links to IBM websites, social sites, and white papers/reports.
- IBM Portal:
- Why Mobile Enterprise – Overview of the importance of the mobile enterprise trend
- Why IBM – tabs for “Build & Connect”, “Manage and Secure”, “Extend and Transform” and “Events” that provide information about IBM’s focus on the mobile enterprise trend as well as resources and events to learn more.
- See it in action – Case Studies of companies that have implemented mobile enterprise solutions
- Offerings – Offerings categorized under “Build & Connect”, “Manage and Secure”, “Extend and Transform” and “Mobile Services” provides information on IBM offerings in the mobile enterprise market
- Developer Resources – Information for mobile app developers
- IBM Services:
- IBM Software
- Mobile Software for Collaboration – Mobile collaboration solutions for Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, iPad, Nokia and more
- Mobile Marketing Solution – Information on IBM’s Enterprise Marketing Management solutions which include Mobile Marketing and Location-based Targeting Solutions
- Mobile commerce information on Websphere Commerce, which is IBM’s mobile commerce solution
- Cognos Mobile provides information on mobile business Intelligence solutions
- IBM Mobile Foundation – Tookit for mobile developers
- DeveloperWorks: Mobile Development provides additional mobile toolkits for developers
- IBM Research: Research Mobile Computing describes IBM Research and it’s focus on mobile computing
- IBM Press Kit: IBM and the Mobile Web provides background information and press articles
IBM Accounts on Social Platforms
- Twitter: IBMMobile Hashtag #IBMMobile
- Facebook: IBMMobile
- Linkedin: IBMMobile
- YouTube: IBM Mobile Enterprise
- Software Blog entries tagged mobile
IBM White Papers
- Getting a better grip on mobile devices, An IBM Software Thought Leadership White Paper, Published January 2012, 12 pages
- An integrated approach to managing and securing your mobile environment, An IBM Software Solution Brief, Published June 2012, 8 pages
- Establishing an effective application strategy for your mobile enterprise, An IBM Global Technology Services, Thought Leadership White Paper, Published January 2012, 6 pages
- Securing end-user mobile devices in the enterprise, An IBM Global Technology Services, Thought Leadership White Paper, Published January 2012, 6 pages
- Preparing your network for the mobile onslaught, An IBM Global Technology Services, Thought Leadership White Paper, Published September 2012, 8 pages
- The Mobile World is open for business, a one page Smarter Planet brief.