Successful business leaders do a good job of understanding and preparing for the potential futures. They take time to figure out what the potential disruptive trends are today…and what trends will cause disruption in the future. They understand not only those disruptive trends that will impact their business, but those that will disrupt their customers businesses as well.
Gartner regularly holds a webinar about every 2-3 months entitled “Top Technology Trends You Can’t Afford To Ignore”. During these hour long webinars, Gartner presents it’s most current list of the top ten technologies. The list changes from year to year ever so slightly, so when Gartner held one of these webinars last month, I attended.
To make this top ten technology trend list, Gartner says the technology has to be disruptive in nature. Gartner defines a disruptive technology as one which drives major change in business processes or revenue streams, consumer behavior or spending, or IT industry dynamics. These trends have the potential to significantly alter the competitive environment in an industry.
During the webinar I attended, Raymond Paquet, Managing Vice President at Gartner, 1) defined the trend, 2) described the impact the technology has on business and IT, and 2) provided recommendations on how leaders should begin using the technology.
Here’s the list of Top Technology Trends You Can’t Ignore from the recent Gartner webinar of the same name.
- Virtualization – This trend, which used to be focused just on servers, is maturing across all elements of an information technology infrastructure.
- Data Deluge – The explosion of unstructured data is causing the emergence of a whole set of new emerging technologies designed to manage all data inputs and make sense out of the chaos.
- Energy and Green IT – There’s an increasing awareness on energy efficiency measurements.
- Complex Resource Tracking – Monitoring energy consumption so that you can dynamically move workloads to save energy.
- Consumerization and Social Software – Gartner says this trend is impacting business in a great way and business leaders need to incorporate social computing across their business.
- Unified Communications – Tightly integrating all forms of communications into all business applications and organizational processes.
- Mobile and Wireless – The explosion of mobile smart devices is leading to an explosion of mobile applications, causing a whole new set of requirements on the infrastructure.
- System Density – Blades are evolving into componentized, data-center-in-a-chassis solutions and therefore the trend is towards high density application of blades resulting in maximum use of floor space.
- Mashups and Portals – Lots of creativity going on here with focus being placed on both visualization integration and content integration into a personalized, customized portal.
- Cloud Computing – Gartner says cloud technology is an important one for businesses to implement. Private clouds will dominate and will allow businesses to improve agility. Leaders should ignore the hype and focus on results.
For more information, you can access the replay of the webinar I attended: Technology Trends You Can't Afford to Ignore (website registration may be required). You can also access the full library of Gartner webinars (upcoming and replay archives) at the following URL http://my.gartner.com/portal/server.pt?objID=202&open=512&mode=2&PageID=3428358 (website registration may be required).