In the future, every human being, company, organization, city, nation, natural system, and man-made system will be interconnected, instrumented, and intelligent. Imagine what that will be like. Wow!
How do we get there? IBM's Smart Planet campaign, which kicks off today, will help position IBM to participate in this future. As I write this Sam Palmisano, IBM's CEO is preparing to speak to The Council on Foreign Relations in New York City on the topic of “A Smarter Planet: The Next Leadership Agenda. At the bottom of this post I'll provide some more links on the campaign
This is a perfect time to launch this campaign. At this very moment in our planet's history, there are a number of very significant and fundamental shifts that are occurring in society, business and technology. These shifts are playing an increasingly critical role in shaping the agenda of both the CEO and IT Managers. IBM is in a unique position in the industry and should have a big role in communicating to CEOs and CIOs the implications of these shifts. IBM will also need to deliver a roadmap to the future Smarter Planet. Look for the Smarter Planet campaign to do just that.
So let's reflect on some of the important shifts that are occurring across our great planet…
New Intelligence: The explosion of information is driving the need for new intelligent systems.
- An explosion of next-generation mobile & computing devices, a system of a trillion smart devices and physical things—more connected, alive with intelligence are creating insights that could improve competitive advantage.
- Scores of new devices and touch points that are collecting terabytes of valuable new customer data daily. This has created a massive data explosion – enterprise data expected to grow 57% CAGR 2010
- Web 2.0 is enabling two-way collaboration with customers that is shaping new business models and razor thin margins are forcing companies to identify and capture customer opportunities in real-time
Globalization: Globalization is transforming society and reshaping business at a rate that few imagined.
- Global markets are creating change on an unprecedented scale – new consumers, new infrastructure, new WW talent pools, and aggressive new competitors for Western markets will impact firms of all sizes
- A huge new global “middle class” is awakening before our eyes” – unfolding with a greater disposable income. Just consider the impact China and India consumers will have in the future.
- A growing Chinese middle and upper class: 2005=7%; 2015=45%; 2025=71%.
- Indian middle and upper class: 2005=7%; 2015=26%; 2025=49%
- An estimated 2 Billion people will be on the Web by 2011. This will drive an insatiable demand for goods and infrastructure. Companies will have a much more demanding customer set that wants locally tailored/customized solutions.
Impact of Technology: Technology has enabled a freedom of choice that has created a wealth of new client expectations.
- Technology is freeing people from traditional constraints that once governed their lives. It is enabling personal and professional “freedom” and interaction wherever, whenever, however.
- Growing global prosperity is giving rise to the pursuit of new customers in new markets, while ubiquitous connectivity is creating a growing class of more informed and collaborative customers
- Systems & processes enable billions of people to work & live; physical goods to be developed, manufactured, bought & sold; services to be delivered; & movement of everything from people , to money to oil, & water
Green Initiatives: New environmental responsibilities have awoken the public’s consciousness and shocked business into new approaches.
- New responsibilities including environment, air, energy, water & food shortages are now pervasive and urgent issues. There are visible signs of climate change, $140+ /bbl. petroleum prices, rising energy costs, rising energy demand, environmental compliance and governance mandates
- Mainstreaming of “green” beliefs/activism. Customers, employees, regulators, investors, and other stakeholders look for actions that produce genuine results that improve their environmental and financial results. Companies & governments of all sizes need to look across their operations, prioritize their focus areas / investments, & take action now.
Bigger Than The Industrial Revolution
This is an exciting time to work in the Information Technology industry as we are in the position to truly lead in this transformation to the vision I stated at the beginning of this post.
Future generations will look back at this time in history much like we look back at impact the period of the Industrial Revolution. Back then, developing economies experienced major transformations in agriculture, manufacturing, and transportation. Much of this was caused because of the introduction of the steam engine and related technologies. The Industrial Revolution and the changes that occurred as a result, had a profound effect on socioeconomic and cultural conditions of those developing economies.
The vision of a Smarter Planet will have a much larger impact than the Industrial Revolution. It will usher in the Industrialization of Services. And if you have been reading my posts this year, you know that I believe that Cloud Computing will be the 'steam engine' that supplies the brain power for us to accelerate towards the Smarter Planet Vision.
Want To Learn More?