The TV commercials support IBM’s strategic Smarter Planet campaign, so there is a little selling going on in the videos. However, these are important emerging trends, so here you go.
- Cloud – Message: Workstations used to be tied to a mainframe. Now they're conversing with a cloud.
- Secure Collaboration - Message: The choice between being open and being secure isn't a choice anymore. Collaboration is the key to business on a smarter planet, but you need to make sure your business is protected.
- Oil - Message: Energy is one of the world's most vital resources. How we extract, use and preserve this resource is vital to our future.
- Water - Message: Water is something we all take for granted, but there is a limited amount in the world. Smarter water management is necessary to ensure our farms, factories and businesses continue to have access to safe, high quality water.
- Public Safety – Message: Cities all over the world are getting smarter. By collecting, analyzing and sharing data, your city can be safer, too.
I really like the creative look and feel of these commercials. I understand there was a bunch of research that went into them. While I believe the commercials will appeal to the public at large, they are obviously designed to target the IT audience, line of business leaders and CXOs.
For more on IBM’s Smarter Planet initiative, check out http://www.ibm.com/ibm/ideasfromibm/us/smartplanet/index.shtml