Steven D. Strauss is a lawyer, author and speaker who specializes in small business and entrepreneurship. He recently had a couple articles published in USA Today that provided a list of top trends for small business. Here is a short summary of his list of Top Trends in Small Business, 2010:
- The Start-Up Economy: While the state of the economy will continue to impact small businesses, it is small businesses that will jump start the recovery.
- Mobile Mania: Mobile marketing is exploding. In 2010 there will be mobile options galore for small business.
- Sharing vs. Shared Experiences: 1) people look for, and increasingly expect, the personal, and 2) small, localized, immediate user-created media are where the eyeballs are headed.
- Going Local: Consumers are increasingly looking for a local angle when looking where to spend their hard-earned dollar.
- Social Media Grows Up: Hop on the social media train because it's headed out of the station at light speed.
- Green Opportunities: There will continue to be opportunities galore in the eco-sphere for the entrepreneur.
- Welcome the Era of Hyper-Connectivity: The accelerating trend is towards using a variety of tools to create an e-interconnectedness and manage your digital brand.
- Less Money, More Responsibility: More and more small business will have to learn to get by on less, even while their financial burden grows.
- The New Employee: Employees are shifting, or are being shifted, to part-time or independent contract status. Full-time employment with full-time benefits is becoming harder and harder to find, and to offer.
- The New Frugality: People are spending less, saving more, and are looking for bargains.
The two articles can be found here Top 10 trends in Small Business and here Ask an Expert: Top 10 trends in small business continued
For more from Steven D. Strauss….he writes columns for USA Today newspaper (see previous columns here), has a book out: The Small Business Bible and authors a newsletter, "Small Business Success Secrets!"